Monday, December 7, 2009

Group Presentation

Our group presentation was about Myspace and Facebook. It took a while for us to all meet because we had conflicting schedules. I emailed the group members for a while and we finally agreed on a meeting date. We met in the library and started out by brainstorming ideas for the presentation and basic ideas for how to relate it to the class theme. We came up with a lot of ideas and Heather and I wrote them all down. When the meeting was over I suggested that we all go through the Cultural Studies textbook, specifically the Digital Media chapter and try and find ideas that Barker has to relate to our presentation. When I got home, I typed up the notes that I took in the meeting and emailed them to everyone.


After I emailed the group and organized another meeting we all met up again in the library. This time we turned our ideas into questions and came up with some answers to lead the class if they were stumped or not responding. Our questions were organized into different sections like Profiles, Socializing, Activism, etc. We talked about what medium we should use to present and came up with the idea of a powerpoint. We were discussing the idea of a blog that had our questions posted on it but we all decided against it in the end.


It was either at our first meeting or the second one that I was browsing YouTube for some humorous Facebook videos. I found two that we could work into our presentation. We all watched them and decided what we could say about them and how to make it work with our main ideas. Over the weekend I created the PowerPoint presentation and then we met again on the Monday before our class presentation, which was on Wednesday. We decided where in the slides the videos should go and then we practiced giving the presentation. We all chose sections that we would present and were each in charge of our own slide.


The presentation went well and the high level of involvement and interest that the students exhibited surprised me. I was very interested in the topic as well and could not stop talking about it, even if it was somebody else's assigned slide. I probably should have kept my mouth shut at some points and let my other group members talk but I was enjoying being able to feed off of the students energy and converse with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment